The direct debits file upload tool in ANZ Internet Banking allows you to import an aba file, which consists of multiple payment details created using your accounting software.
- Once the aba file is imported, the payments will be populated so you can easily create direct debits from them.
How do I upload a file to create direct debits?
ANZ Internet Banking for Business customers can import a payment file to create direct debits. To upload a file for direct debits:
- Go to the "Set up business Direct debits" menu.
- Click on the "Import file" link and follow the steps below.
Step 1 - Create your .aba file
ABA stands for Australian Banking Association.
- Most accounting and payroll software packages enable you to create .aba files, which consist of payment details.
- Ask your accountant for more information about how to create .aba files.
Step 2 - Locate and upload your .aba file
- Click the "Browse" button and locate your .aba file from your computer.
- When the file is uploaded correctly it will appear in the "File location" field.
- Click "Continue"
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you have uploaded the correct file.
Step 3 - View the user ID list
The "Direct debit" page will display each user ID along with the following details:
- Account number: displays the account number linked to the user ID. This account will be credited when you process a direct debit transaction.
- Limit: displays the maximum amount of funds that can be debited per cycle, as specified at registration.
- Cycle: the cycle is the length of time during which you can debit no more than the specified limit, i.e. daily, weekly, and monthly, etc.
- Remaining: displays the remaining direct debit limit for the current cycle.
- Current cycle end date: displays the end date for the current cycle.
Step 4 - Select the relevant user ID
Ensure the correct user ID is selected, using the radio buttons under the "Select" column.
This will again display a summary of the direct debit user ID information.
- Click "Continue" if you wish to use this ID to create the direct debit batch.
- Otherwise click on the "Cancel" button.
Please note that the multiple direct debit payments will all be processed as one credit to your selected account. You cannot select multiple accounts.
Step 5 - Check the direct debit details
The direct debit details are displayed including the user ID, credit account and direct debit client details from the imported file.
- You can remove the clients from the list and/or edit the amount if necessary.
Step 6 - Enter the transfer date
Step 7 - Fill in your business name
Your/Business name: enter either your own name or the name of your business if appropriate. The name you enter:
- will appear on the client/debtor's statement so ensure it makes your identity clear to the client/debtor.
- must only contain letters (no special characters eg. _/@#%^*).
Step 8 - Add more payments (if applicable)
The payment details from your .aba file will populate the payments list.
- If you want to add more payments please follow steps 5-7 from the Create direct debits manually page.
- If you need to remove a payment click the "Remove" button on the right of the list.
- You can also change the payment amount if necessary by clicking in the amount box and editing it as needed.
Step 9 - Save as a template (if applicable)
You can save payment lists as a template to make future direct debits quicker.
- To save the list as a template check the box and enter a template name that you will easily identify for future use.
Step 10 - Click "Continue"
- When you are happy with the list of payments, the "From" account selected and the transfer date click "Continue".
Step 11 - Review your information
Review all your information to ensure it is correct. If information is incorrect it may result in an unsuccessful transfer or the wrong payee receiving funds.
- If you notice mistakes select "Back" and re-enter the correct details following steps 1-10.
Step 12 - Confirm your payment
- When you are happy with the information entered click "Confirm". This will complete the transfer and a confirmation message will display.
ANZ Internet Banking for Business Operators can click "Request authorisation" to submit the transfer to the relevant Authoriser or Administrator for approval.
Step 13 - View your lodgement receipt
- Your lodgement receipt is displayed to confirm that your transaction has been submitted successfully.
- This does not mean the transaction will be processed successfully as that is dependent on the details you have entered being accurate and sufficient available funds being in the account from which the payment is to be made.
- Please make a note of the receipt number and lodgement number for your own records.
When you are making direct debits it is your responsibility to ensure the details you provide are correct.
- We do not check that the details provided by you are correct.
- Pending transfers will expire if not approved by the appropriate number of Authorisers within the selected payment authorisation period.
- You must ensure that the details in the payment instructions provided by you are correct or all or part of the debit may be unsuccessful or made to an unintended account.
- Direct debits requested before 6.00pm Melbourne time on a bank business day will be processed to the account on the same day.
- Direct debits requested after this time may be processed on the following bank business day.
- An immediate direct debit or a direct debit to be processed today cannot be deleted or cancelled after it is fully authorised.
- You can stop future direct debit payments if necessary.
- If you wish to delete a future dated payment, the request must be lodged with ANZ Internet Banking prior to 11.59pm Melbourne time on the day prior to the payment date.
- Please note that you cannot edit a future payment.
- You must delete and then re-submit a new payment.
Is your security software up to date?
Need more help?
Choose another topic from the table of contents
Send us a SecureMail
For further assistance please call the ANZ Internet Banking team on 13 33 50 (International callers: +61 3 9699 6908) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.