Managing our footprint
We are committed to reducing the environmental footprint of our operations through innovation and efficiency. Our approach is to develop solutions that reduce both environmental impacts and costs.
We measure and report our environmental impact across the markets in which we operate in our annual Sustainability Review.
We also report our environmental performance using a number of voluntary and compliance mechanisms including the Australian Government’s National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme, the National Carbon Offset Standard Carbon Neutral Program, CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project) and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
Energy and carbon emissions
We aim to minimise the use of resources in our operations through the efficient consumption of energy within our buildings, including commercial offices, retail branches and data centres. We also encourage staff uptake of technology such as video conferencing to reduce travel associated emission levels.
To ensure that we are meeting this energy reduction goal ANZ has adopted a framework of:
- reviewing energy consumption within its operations;
- developing a plan to reduce energy consumption;
- funding and implementing energy efficiency opportunities; and
- monitoring the outcomes of energy efficiency projects.
All efforts to reduce energy consumption across of operating portfolio will assist us in reducing our emissions footprint and achieving our greenhouse gas Science Based Target.
Carbon neutral commitment
We have maintained carbon neutrality for our operations since 2010. Our aim is to reduce emissions where possible across our operations. Unavoidable emissions are offset in accordance with our certification under the Australian Government's National Offset Standard Carbon Neutral Program.
Further information on our net zero carbon commitment is available below.
We are committed to minimising paper use in both our offices and through statements and marketing materials generated for our customers.
We do this by:
- partnering with our suppliers to introduce innovative print technologies;
- developing and increasing customer uptake of digital communication methods; and
- reducing environmental impacts of any ongoing printing by purchasing carbon neutral paper that has been certified under the Australia Government’s National Carbon Offset Standard.
We are committed to minimising the amount of waste generated as well as reusing and recycling as much waste as possible. Recycling leads to savings in energy, water, carbon emissions and landfill space.
We do this by:
- reducing the amount of paper used internally and distributed to customers through statements and marketing;
- recycling a range of materials generated directly from our business activities and commercial properties;
- encouraging staff uptake of office recycling programs; and
- utilizing local solutions for recycling where possible – for example offering used furniture and equipment to support social enterprises, NGOs and public organisations.
As an Australian headquartered company, we are aware of the risks associated with drought and water scarcity.
We are committed to proactively managing water consumption through best practice in our design and operation of our commercial and retail facilities.
We do this by minimising our demand on potable water supplies by installing eco-efficient water fittings such as low flow aerators on taps and dual flush toilets in our offices.
Our Branch Design Guidelines specify the use of eco-efficient water fittings and we communicate regularly to all branches across Australia, encouraging our branch managers and employees to save water.