skip to log on skip to main content
VoiceOver users please use the tab key when navigating expanded menus

Moving to Australia

Welcome to Australia! You may find things a bit different here, but there's help available.

Sort out the money matters

We've put some information together that could help make things a little easier for your move, including banking, super and taxes.


If you're planning to work in Australia, employers usually pay salaries into a bank account. So open one when you arrive. You should also find out more about the different types of accounts available, such as:

And if you're currently overseas but planning to move to Australia, you can even apply for an ANZ Access Advantage (everyday account) and an ANZ Online Saver account (savings) prior to your arrival. Visit our Moving to Australia site to find out what to expect, including local knowledge tips, and apply online to open an ANZ bank account.

What you need to open a bank account

If you're a new customer who's opening an account, you generally need to provide one form of Primary ID (such as a driver's licence or passport) or two Secondary IDs (such as a birth certificate or citizenship certificate). To find out more and see the full list of acceptable forms of identification documents, read Customer Identification Process (CIP) - Acceptable Identification Documents PDF (44kB).

Here in Australia, your employer is legally bound to pay at least 9.5% (up to certain limits) of your earnings into a superannuation fund or retirement savings account. 


You may not have heard of superannuation (usually just called 'super') before arriving in Australia. Commonly known in other parts of the world as pension plans, super is a type of investment plan designed to help you financially when you retire. Here in Australia, your employer is legally bound to pay at least 9.5% (up to certain limits) of your earnings into a superannuation fund or retirement savings account. You can also make your own contributions, but consider seeking professional financial advice before you do.

Work out your income and expenses

The ANZ Budget Planner can help you identify your income and expenses and get an idea of what your budget could look like.

  ANZ Budget Planner

How to check foreign exchange rates

You could refer to our Currency exchange rates page, or use either of these:

 ANZ currency converter

Currency by ANZ app


Australia's taxation system is a complex one, with many different state and federal taxes. We won't go into too much detail here, but there are some important things you should know.

If you're planning to work in Australia, you'll need to get a tax file number (TFN) from the Australian Tax Office (ATO). It's not mandatory, but without a TFN, you'll automatically be taxed at the highest marginal rate and you may not have access to other benefits which you'd usually be entitled to.

Your employer will ask you for this TFN. And if you have savings and investments earning income, the bank (or other financial institution) managing these assets will also ask for it.

Tax file number applications are usually processed within 28 days, you can find out more on the ATO website.

Australia's financial year runs from July 1 to June 30 each year. If you earn more than a certain amount (you can look this up on the ATO website) during this period, you may need to pay income tax. As an employee, this income tax is normally deducted from your regular earnings. You'll also need to fill out a tax return at the end of each financial year. Depending on your situation, you may either get money back from the ATO, or you may owe them money.

Australia also has a goods and services tax (GST) which is 10% on most things you buy. This is also known as a value added tax in some other parts of the world.

The information set out above is general in nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives financial situation or needs.  By providing this information ANZ does not intend to provide any financial advice or other advice or recommendations.  You should seek independent financial, legal, tax and other relevant advice having regard to your particular circumstances.