skip to log on skip to main content
VoiceOver users please use the tab key when navigating expanded menus

Home and contents insurance

There's no room for guesswork when it comes to insuring your home and the belongings that make your house a home. The unexpected happens, so it pays to be prepared. ANZ insurance can provide a high level of cover, so you can take comfort knowing your home and belongings are protected.

Recognised by Choice

ANZ Home & Contents Insurance has been recognised by CHOICE® as the best performer in its category for 2020!

What is home insurance?

Home insurance covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home following an insured event. This includes natural disasters, such as a bushfire, flood, earthquake or storm, as well as theft and vandalism with accidental breakages as an optional extra.

Contents insurance covers the cost of replacing what’s inside your home and property if it’s damaged, lost or stolen. You can take out just home insurance, just contents insurance or a combined home and contents policy.

If you’re unsure whether something falls under home or contents insurance, then imagine you tipped your home upside down. Generally, home insurance covers everything that is fixed to your floors, walls and ceiling while contents insurance covers everything that falls out.


Choose your cover

Home and contents insurance  

For homeowners, benefits include:

  • Full building replacement - regardless of the cost. This means we will pay the amount required to have your house rebuilt or repaired to the same condition it was just before the damage occurred.
  • Emergency accommodation offered for up to 24 months (also for your pets) if your house is destroyed in a catastrophic event.
  • Lifetime guarantee on repairs to your building by an ANZ authorised repairer, builder or supplier.

Contents insurance

For renters, benefits include:

  • New-for-old replacement on your belongings where we choose to replace an item and not repair it, or pay you the cost of reparing or replacing it.disclaimer
  • Option to add contents cover away from home - so your bike, laptop and mobile phone are covered for unexpected loss or damage outside the home.disclaimer  

Landlord insurance

For landlords, benefits include:

  • Full building replacement if your property is destroyed in a natural disaster, such as a bushfire, flood, earthquake, storm or named cyclone. This means we will pay the amount required to have your property rebuilt or repaired to the condition it was in just before the damage occured.disclaimer
  • Cover if your tenant fails to pay the rent or maliciously damages your property.
  • Optional rent default to help protect your rental income when your tenant leaves early and without notice. 

Make a claim

We know making an insurance claim comes at an extremely stressful time, so we’ve made the process as easy as possible. With 24/7 lodgement support available online and over the phone from our local claim centre from 8am-7pm (AEST), we’re here when you need us most.

Read more about how to make your claim:

How to make a home and contents insurance claim

How to make a landlord insurance claim

Need to make a claim now?

Make sure to have your policy number handy.

Tools and support

Documents and forms

Want to learn more? Our key facts sheets provide a great summary about what’s covered, while our Product Disclosure Statements have more detail.

Your insurance on the ANZ App

If you're an existing ANZ customer, you can add your insurance policies to the ANZ App (only available on iPhone or iPad) so you’ve got your banking, super and insurance in one place.

You can also browse and buy a range of insurance including home, car and life insurance.

Don’t have the app yet? Download on iOS now.

Contact us

Our customer service team is your first point of contact for any enquiries, raising concerns or providing feedback. 

Read more about home insurance


Home and contents insurance FAQs

Learn how premiums are calculated, what of your home and contents can be covered while you’re travelling, how to reduce your premium, and more.



Is your home protected with the right insurance?

The type of insurance that’s right for you depends on your circumstances – including your life stage, whether you’re single or partnered, and whether you have dependents. Make sure you choose the right one.



What are the top home and contents insurance tips?

See our top six tips for getting the most from your cover, reducing premiums, being careful of exclusions and understanding your policy.


How to make a complaint, compliment or provide feedback

We value your feedback regarding our performance and we’re committed to resolving any concerns you may have. 

Talk to us

Our customer service team is your first point of contact for any enquiries, raising concerns or providing feedback. Our contact details are below. We will do our best to resolve your concerns genuinely, promptly, fairly and consistently, and keep you informed of the progress.

If you are not satisfied with the response to your complaint or feedback, your concerns will be escalated to our Complaints Resolution Centre.

Call us

Email us

Write to us

Customer Care
PO Box 213
Parramatta, NSW, 2124


External dispute resolution

If your concerns have not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) who provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to consumers. 

Time limits may apply to complain to AFCA and so you should act promptly or otherwise consult the AFCA website to find out if or when the time limit relevant to your circumstances expires.The AFCA contact details are:


1800 931 678 on weekdays (except on public holidays) from 9am to 5pm (AEST)


Write to   

Australian Financial Complaints Authority
GPO Box 3
Melbourne, Victoria, 3001

Visit online


This information was published on 30 May 2020 and is subject to change.

ANZ Home Insurance is issued by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239 545) (QBE). ANZ recommends that you read the ANZ Financial Services Guide (PDF 179kB), ANZ Home Building Key Facts Sheet (PDF 130kB)ANZ Home Contents Key Facts Sheet (PDF 130kB)ANZ Home Insurance Target Market Determination (PDF 199kB) and the ANZ Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDF 548kB) (available by calling 13 16 14), before deciding whether to acquire, or to continue to hold, these products.

ANZ Landlord Insurance is issued by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239 545) (QBE) and distributed by ANZ under its own license. ANZ recommends that you read the ANZ Financial Services Guide (PDF 179kB)ANZ Landlord Insurance Target Market Determination (PDF 208kB) and ANZ Landlord Insurance Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Document (PDF 709kB) (available online or by calling 13 16 14) before deciding whether to acquire, or to continue to hold, this product.

ANZ Life Insurance is issued by OnePath Life Limited (OnePath Life) (ABN 33 009 657 176, AFSL 238 341). We recommend that you read the ANZ Financial Services Guide (PDF 479kB)ANZ Life Insurance Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Document (PDF 145kB) (available online or by calling 13 16 14) before deciding whether to continue to hold this product. This PDS relates to policies issued from 1 June 2019. Previous products (with the same name) may have different features and benefits. If you hold insurance based on an earlier PDS, please contact us if you have any questions or to have a PDS sent to you.

Although Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (ANZ) (ABN 11 005 357 522 AFSL 234527) distributes these products, ANZ does not guarantee or stand behind the issuers or their products.

This information is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking account of your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the information, you should consider whether the information is appropriate for you having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs.

Discounts are calculated before taxes, stamp duty and government levies or charges. 

The multi policy discount is only available if you hold two or more of any of the following policies and are a named insured with the same name on each policy: ANZ Home Insurance, ANZ Landlord Insurance and ANZ Car Insurance. 

To be entitled to a discount on your insurance you must notify the issuers of these products at the time of application that you are an ANZ Breakfree package customer. These discounts are only available if you apply for an eligible insurance product at an ANZ branch or by calling the ANZ contact centre. The discount is only applicable to the first year’s premium and may not be available in conjunction with any other discount offer made by issuers of these products or ANZ, for full details check with your branch or ANZ contact centre. Reference to insurance premium amounts for the purposes of calculating the applicable Breakfree package benefits exclude any stamp duty, GST and other government fees, charges or levies components that are included in the total premium amount paid by you.

On and from 19 March 2022, the ANZ Breakfree Package will no longer be available for sale, and will be discontinued on or about 10 September 2022. No new Breakfree insurance discounts will be available from this date, and all other Breakfree package benefits will cease to apply.

The ANZ App is provided by ANZ.  Super, Shares and Insurance (if available) are not provided by ANZ but entities which are not banks. ANZ does not guarantee them. ANZ recommends that you read the ANZ App Terms and Conditions available at and consider if this service is appropriate to you prior to making a decision to acquire or use the ANZ App.

Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.

You need Adobe Reader to view PDF files. You can download Adobe Reader free of charge.


If your contents suffer loss or damage in an insured event and your claim is accepted, we’ll choose to either: repair or replace an item; or pay the cost of its replacement or repair. Subject to total contents sum insured and any applicable limits. Refer to the ANZ Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDF 548kB) for a full list of conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.


Contents cover for up to 120 consecutive days away from home. We’ll pay:

- up to the contents sum insured whilst in Australia or New Zealand
- the lesser of 25% of the sum insured or $15,000, whilst outside Australia and New Zealand.


We do not cover loss or damage caused by a bushfire or grass fire, flood or named cyclone that occurs within 48 hours of the start of your policy. If your building is totally destroyed by an insured event and your claim is accepted, we’ll choose to either rebuild, repair or pay you the cost to do so. We won’t cover loss or damage as a result of an earthquake or tsunami if the loss or damage occurs later than 72 hours after the earthquake or tsunami occurring.