skip to log on skip to main content
VoiceOver users please use the tab key when navigating expanded menus
Article related to:

Home Insurance

How to make a landlord insurance claim

2023-06-29 04:30

Important information

The information below refers to features and benefits of ANZ General Insurance products issued by CGU to new customers from 3 July 2023.
If you hold an ANZ Home, Landlord or Car Insurance policy issued by QBE, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement available at for the relevant information. The features of the QBE and CGU issued insurance products are different. For more information on the General Insurance partner transition, visit our FAQs here.

Just like the home you live in, an investment property can be affected by natural disasters such as storms, floods and fires, or by accidental breakage or theft. Having tenants means you also have the risk of loss of rent. This is why it makes sense to take out landlord insurance to help protect your property and the income you receive from your tenants.

Making a landlord insurance claim for the first time after a listed event your insurer covers can be daunting, especially in the event of a major loss such as fire, storm or flood, or if you're facing loss of rental income. To help navigate through the claim lodgement process and to remove some of the stress, the following tips should help you with your claim.

Seven tips for making a landlord insurance claim

  1. Contact your insurance provider either online or by phone as soon as you can. Try to have your policy number ready. If you don't know your policy number, after confirming your details the insurance provider should be able to locate your policy and proceed with lodging the claim.
  2. The insurance provider will ask you a series of questions about the loss or damage. Photos of damaged items and receipts of purchased items can all be helpful in lodging your claim. 
  3. Retain damaged items, especially water damaged contents – this can help with the timely authentication and repair or replacement of items. 
  4. In the event of theft, you will need to contact the police to report the incident and provide the police report number to the insurance company when lodging the claim. 
  5. In the interest of safety for you and your tenants, you should not personally attempt temporary repairs until a qualified repairer or assessor has inspected the home. Your insurance provider can assist with organising an inspection, and emergency repairs, if required. 
  6. Always check with your insurance provider before paying for the replacement or repairs to the property and contents, as unauthorised repairs could put you out of pocket and slow down the settlement of your claim.
  7. Depending on the extent of the loss or damage, your insurance provider may send out an assessor or company representative to inspect onsite. They may also arrange for qualified trades people or replacement specialists to inspect your property and to provide quotes for repairs. Alternatively, the insurance company may ask you to obtain your own quotes for repairs. It is important not to authorise any repairs to the property or replace any contents until you have spoken to your insurer.

How long will the claim process take?

The minimum time and standard which insurance providers must meet when handling your claim are both set out in the General Insurance Code of Practice.

Always confirm the next steps of the claims process with the insurance provider and the expected time of completion of those steps. 

Settling a landlord insurance claim

If your insurer has accepted your claim, in consultation with you, they will decide whether to repair, rebuild, replace or pay you the reasonable cost of repairs or rebuilding either your property or damaged contents or pay you the building or contents sum insured.

What if my claim is not accepted?

In some situations, your insurance provider may not cover or pay your claim. If this happens to you, your insurer is required to tell you why. You can ask for this decision to be reviewed through the insurance provider's own internal dispute-resolution body or by going directly through to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) for free independent resolution of your complaint. 

What does landlord insurance cover?

While policies vary, generally landlord insurance covers:

  • repairing damage to your property from listed events such as flood, storms or fire
  • replacing or repairing fixed contents such as carpets, light fittings, curtains or blinds
  • fixing damage caused by your tenants and their guests, or replacing any stolen items 
  • loss of rent as a result of loss or damage to your property that prevents the home being tenanted.

Landlord insurance can also cover you if your tenants injure themselves while on your property. Always refer to the product disclosure statement to fully understand what is covered.

What doesn't landlord insurance cover?

Landlord insurance generally doesn't cover the wear and tear of your property or costs for regular maintenance issues, such as a plumber fixing a leaking tap.

It may not cover you for any period your property is unoccupied for 60 or more consecutive days and not maintained in a lived-in state, or for any repairs that a tenant may carry out themselves. Cover is also unlikely to extend to items such as trees, shrubs, or anything growing in the ground except those growing in pots or tubs, as these can sometimes fall under contents insurance.

It's important to have a rental agreement in place so you and your tenant fully understand what is and isn't covered. Not having a valid tenancy agreement in place may affect your ability to make a claim after a listed event.

Find a landlord insurance policy that's right for you

It's important to know what is and isn't covered by a landlord insurance policy before making the decision to purchase, so make sure you read your insurer's product disclosure statement and ask the insurance provider questions to know exactly what you are covered for, and what you're not covered for.

Comparing landlord insurance from several providers also helps in making the right decision. Some insurance providers also provide flexibility in selecting or deselecting specific benefits and features as well as giving you the option to choose a suitable excess to help meet your specific needs.

Need to make an ANZ Landlord Insurance claim?

You can make a claim for ANZ Landlord Insurance over the phone 24/7. Make sure to have your policy number handy.

How to make a landlord insurance claim

Discover how ANZ can help you protect what matters most

ANZ offer home, landlord and car insurance. Get on top of your insurance today.

Related articles

This information is current as at date of publication and is subject to change.

For new policies commencing from 3 July 2023 (inclusive) or policies migrated from QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited from 7 August 2023 (inclusive), ANZ Landlord Insurance is issued by Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 11 000 016 722, AFSL 227681) trading as CGU Insurance and distributed by ANZ under its own license. ANZ recommends that you read the ANZ Financial Services Guide (PDF), ANZ Landlord Insurance Target Market Determination (PDF), ANZ Landlord Insurance Premium, Excess and Discounts Guide (PDF) and ANZ Landlord Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDF) (available online or by calling 13 16 14) before deciding whether to acquire, or to continue to hold, this product.

For policies commenced before 3 July 2023 or policies renewed before 7 August 2023, ANZ Landlord Insurance is issued by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239 545). ANZ recommends that you read the ANZ Financial Services Guide (PDF), ANZ Landlord Insurance Target Market Determination (PDF) and ANZ Landlord Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDF) (available online or by calling 13 16 14) before deciding whether to acquire, or to continue to hold, this product.

Although Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (ANZ) ABN 11 005 357 522 AFSL 234527 distributes these products, ANZ does not guarantee or stand behind the issuers or their products.

This information is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether the information is appropriate for you having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs.