skip to log on skip to main content
VoiceOver users please use the tab key when navigating expanded menus
Article related to:

Home Insurance

Why is landlord insurance so important?

2023-09-01 04:30

Important information

The information below refers to features and benefits of ANZ General Insurance products issued by CGU.
From 3 July 2023, ANZ have partnered with CGU to offer home, landlord and car insurance to new customers. The features of the QBE and CGU issued insurance products are different. For more information on the General Insurance partner transition, visit our FAQs here.

Buying an investment property is an exciting step, so it's important to understand how to protect it with landlord insurance.

After purchasing an investment property, some of the next steps include finding a good tenant and considering the levels of cover the property may need. Landlord insurance may cover your unforeseen repair bills due to damage by an insured event and possible loss of rent if the home is unliveable. If you have a mortgage on your investment property, some lenders may require proof of building insurance as a part of their loan settlement requirements.  This helps protect you, as well as the lender, against the financial risks caused by unexpected damage or loss to your property. 

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance is specifically designed to protect your investment property from loss or damage when renting out your unit, apartment, or house. Landlord insurance can help protect you against insured events that lead to theft, loss or damage to your investment property and a loss of rental income.

What does landlord insurance cover?

You can choose different types of landlord insurance to provide cover for:

  • Building cover only: coverage for insured events that damage your property's structure.
  • Contents cover only: coverage for insured events related to the damage or theft of household goods that you own and have provided for your tenants use, within your rental property. This can also include things like carpets and curtains.
  • Combined building and contents: coverage for insured events related to both building and contents. For example, both your investment property and the contents inside it have coverage if they are damaged in a flood, fire, cyclone, earthquake, storm or other events

Does landlord insurance cover loss of rent and rent default?

Horror stories of tenants destroying a property make the news. Not only is the landlord burdened with the cost of repairs, they also have the additional stress of going weeks, or months without rental income. 

Thankfully, some landlord insurance policies will cover the damage by tenants and loss of rent when the building becomes unliveable due to loss or damage from an insured event or if your sole tenant passes away. It's worth checking with your insurer first as cover levels vary. 

Rent default is different from loss of rent from an insured event, and may be optional, where you need to add it to your policy to have protection.

As a landlord, having a tenant refusing to pay rent, or vacating your rental property without giving you notice can be a stressful experience. Rent default can help to cover you when a tenant leaves your rental property without notice, is legally evicted from your property, or stops paying their rent, providing you with stability of earnings while you find a replacement tenant. Having a formal lease in place is important and bond money paid that equals at least four weeks rent, as this may be a condition of your policy. Read through your policy's Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to see if rent default and cover for loss of rent are included in your landlord insurance policy and any conditions, limits or exclusions that apply.

Even good tenants can cause damage

Most tenants want to do the right thing, but of course, the unexpected can happen. A harmless game of backyard cricket can end with a ball smashing through the kitchen window, and a hose that bursts on a washing machine could flood the ceiling of the apartment below resulting in huge repair and replacement bills.

That's why it's worth considering landlord insurance that includes things like accidental glass breakage, water damage and liability cover. Check your policy's PDS to ensure the cover is right for you.


Why is landlord insurance so important?

Discover how ANZ can help you protect what matters most

ANZ offer home, landlord and car insurance. Get on top of your insurance today.

Related articles

This information is current as at date of publication and is subject to change.

Although Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (ANZ) ABN 11 005 357 522 AFSL 234527 distributes these products, ANZ does not guarantee or stand behind the issuers or their products.

This information is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether the information is appropriate for you having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs.