Managing our footprint
We seek to reduce the environmental impact of our operations through innovation, efficiency and increased employee awareness.
Our new environmental footprint target suite commenced on 1 July 2020 and will run until 30 June 2025. Our focus remains on energy, water and waste due to their relevance to our people, customers and the markets in which we operate.
We have set targets to reduce the direct impact of our business activities on the environment by:
- reducing scope 1 and 2 emissions 24% by 2025 and 35% by 2030 (against a 2015 base year);
- increasing renewable electricity use to 100% by 2025;
- reducing potable water consumption by 25% by 2025 (against a 2017 baseline);
- reducing waste to landfill by 30% by 2025 (against a 2017 baseline); and
- reducing paper consumption (office and customer paper use only) by 60% by 2025 (against 2015 baseline).
We measure and report our environmental impact across the markets in which we operate in ESG reporting.
We also report our environmental performance using a number of voluntary and compliance mechanisms including the Australian Government’s National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme and Climate Active Program, CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project), Dow Jones Sustainability Index, RE100, CitySwitch Green Office Program and the Climate Leaders Coalition.
Energy and carbon emissions
We seek to minimise the use of resources in our operations through the efficient consumption of energy within our buildings, including commercial offices, retail branches and data centres. We also encourage staff uptake of technology such as video conferencing to reduce emission associated with travel.
To ensure we are meeting our emission reduction goal we have adopted a framework of:
- regularly reviewing energy consumption within our operations;
- developing a plan to reduce energy consumption;
- funding and implementing energy efficiency opportunities; and
- monitoring the outcomes of energy efficiency projects.
All efforts to reduce energy consumption across of operating portfolio will assist us in reducing our emissions footprint and achieving our greenhouse gas Science Based Target.
Carbon neutral commitment
We have maintained carbon neutrality for our operations since 2010. Our aim is to reduce emissions where possible. Unavoidable emissions are then offset in accordance with our certification under the Australian Government's Climate Active Program.
Further information on our net zero carbon commitment is available below.
In September 2019 we announced our commitment to RE100, a global initiative driving the transition to 100% renewable electricity. Click here for further information about RE100.
We are committed to minimising paper use in our offices and through statements and marketing materials generated for our customers.
We do this by:
- partnering with our suppliers to introduce innovative print technologies;
- developing and increasing customer uptake of digital communication methods;
- reducing environmental impacts of any ongoing printing by purchasing either carbon neutral paper that has been certified under the Australia Government’s Climate Active Program or 100% recycled paper;
- reviewing internal processes that rely on printing; and
- employee engagement and awareness of printing behaviours.
We are committed to minimising the amount of waste generated as well as reusing and recycling as much waste as possible. Recycling leads to savings in energy, water, carbon emissions and diverts potential resources from landfill.
We do this by:
- reducing the amount of paper used internally and distributed to customers through statements and marketing;
- recycling a range of materials generated directly from our business activities and commercial properties;
- encouraging staff uptake of office recycling programs; and
- utilizing local solutions for recycling where possible – for example offering used furniture and equipment to support social enterprises, NGOs and public organisations.
As an Australian headquartered company, we are aware of the risks associated with drought and water scarcity.
We are committed to proactively managing water consumption through best practice in our design and operation of our commercial and retail facilities.
We do this by minimising our demand on potable water supplies by installing eco-efficient water fittings such as low flow aerators on taps and dual flush toilets in our offices.
Our Branch Design Guidelines specify the use of eco-efficient water fittings and we communicate regularly to all branches across Australia, encouraging our branch managers and employees to save water.