skip to log on skip to main content
VoiceOver users please use the tab key when navigating expanded menus

How do I make an income protection claim?

Published 9 October 2018

Our step-by-step guide takes you through the process of making a claim on your ANZ Income Protection policy.

1. I’ve suffered an injury or been diagnosed with an illness and I’m going to need some time off work. How do I make a claim on my income protection insurance?

Our claims team are here to assist and can be contacted on 13 16 14.

Alternatively, you can contact your financial adviser to make the claim on your behalf.

Have the following information on hand:

  • your policy number
  • the date your health problem started (or when you first noticed symptoms)
  • when you stopped working.

The waiting period (for your claim to commence) starts as soon as you see a doctor who confirms you are unable to continue working.

2. What paperwork do I need to supply?

Once you’ve made the call, the claim form will be sent to you within 24 hours, along with the details of any additional documents required.

You must provide us with all the information and details that we reasonably require to assess your claim. This typically includes personal details, such as the bank account you want the money paid into, and information about your employment situation, income and illness or injury.

Evidence of your income is generally provided by supplying 12 months of pay slips, tax returns or profit and loss statements if you are self-employed.

You’ll also need to provide the following:

  • medical form from your treating doctor
  • copies of any relevant medical tests
  • Medicare authority form and generic medical authority form so we can gain access to any relevant medical information.

If you have trouble providing any of the requested information, let us know and we’ll guide you through the process.

3. What happens once I have provided all the paperwork?

You’ll be assigned a claims assessor who will be your key contact during the claims process. They will provide an update on the progress of the claim within five business days and support you through the claims process.

You may also be asked to supply additional financial records, a Workers’ Compensation report, or details about your other insurance policies (and any medical or financial information those insurers have).

4. What other support is provided while I’m off work?

There’s growing evidence to suggest that returning to work can play an important role in your recovery.

ANZ’s rehabilitation team takes a holistic and collaborative approach to support your recovery. A rehab consultant will work with you, your medical practitioners and your employer to make your return to work as smooth as possible.

We also offer vocational rehabilitation to help you return to your previous employer, or to help you find a job at an alternative workplace.

5. Is there anything I need to do once I have made a claim?

If you have successfully made a claim, a ‘progress’ claim form will generally need to be provided every month. You also need to remain under the regular care of a medical practitioner, be following their advice, and not engaged in your previous occupation or any paid occupation.

Learn more about income protection


Income insurance protection FAQs

See the frequently asked questions about income protection including cover length, waiting periods, exclusions and costs.



Seven benefits of income protection

Learn about the benefits of an income protection policy, what the protection offers, how you can use it, and tax considerations.



Income protection insurance for the self-employed FAQs

Learn about income protection options for the self-employed including income considerations, policy options, their benefits, and more.

This information is current as at date of publication and is subject to change.

The issuer of this information is ANZ. While ANZ has taken care to ensure that this information is from reliable sources, it cannot warrant its accuracy, completeness or suitability for your intended use. To the extent permitted by law, ANZ does not accept any responsibility or liability arising from your use of this information.

ANZ Income Protection covers two separate financial products – Income Cover is issued by OnePath Life Limited (ABN 33 009 657 176) (OnePath Life) and Involuntary Unemployment and Family Care Cover are issued by OnePath General Insurance Pty Limited (ABN 56 072 892 365, AFSL 288160) (OnePath General). We recommend that you read the ANZ Financial Services Guide (PDF 479kB) and ANZ Income Protection Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Document (PDF 272kB) (available online or by calling 13 16 14) before deciding whether to acquire, or to continue to hold, this product.

OnePath Life has adopted the Life Insurance Code of Practice, which contains minimum standards of service that customers can expect from insurers. The Code can be found at

Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (ANZ) ABN 11 005 357 522 AFSL 234527 is an authorised deposit taking institution (Bank) under the Banking Act 1959 (Cth). The issuers of these products are not Banks. Although ANZ distributes these products, these products are not a deposit or other liability of ANZ or its related group companies. None of them stands behind or guarantees the issuers or the products. 

This information is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether the information is appropriate for you having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs. 

The ANZ App is provided by ANZ. Super, Shares and Insurance (if available) are not provided by ANZ but entities which are not banks. ANZ does not guarantee them. ANZ recommends that you read the ANZ App Terms and Conditions available at and consider if this service is appropriate to you prior to making a decision to acquire or use the ANZ App.

Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.