skip to log on skip to main content
VoiceOver users please use the tab key when navigating expanded menus

Our home insurance options

Cover for your repayments, home and more

It's time to think ahead. If something happens down the track that prevents you from making repayments or your home is destroyed,  ANZ insurance can help you get back on your feet.

Lenders Mortgage Insurance

Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) is generally required by a lender when you need a loan of more than 80% of the property's value.

What  is it?

If you need to borrow more than 80% of the amount your property is valued at, you may need to pay Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI). Banks often call this percentage the 'LVR', which stands for 'Loan to Value Ratio'.

LMI protects lenders against a loss if a borrower can no longer afford their loan repayments. This one-off fee is based on the loan amount and LVR. If the property has to be sold, LMI can cover the lender if the sale price of the property does not cover the outstanding loan balance plus claimable costsdisclaimer

As mentioned before, you'll generally need to pay LMI if your LVR is more than 80%. But for some property types, LMI might be required if LVR is less than 80%. The fee will vary based on several factors including your loan amount and the size of your deposit.

It's important to note that LMI covers the lender, not the borrower. Also, LMI should not be mistaken for ANZ Mortgage Protection.


  • Allows you to buy a home sooner with a smaller deposit 
  • Gives you access to a wider range of properties by increasing your price range
  • Lets you retain some capital for other investments 

Other insurance options

ANZ Mortgage Protection

Cover for your mortgage repayments to protect you and your family's interests. 

Learn more


ANZ Home & Contents Insurance

Cover for your home and contents with full building replacementdisclaimer, new for old contents replacementdisclaimer and more. 

Get a quote  Learn more

ANZ Landlord Insurance

Peace of mind when you lease out your property. Choose building cover, contents cover or both. 

Get a quote  Learn more

Contact us, we're here to help

For queries on ANZ Mortgage Insurance, ANZ Home and Contents Insurance and ANZ Landlord insurance

Call 13 16 14

Mon-Fri, 8am to 8pm (AEST)

Visit a branch

Locate us

ANZ Home Insurance and ANZ Landlord Insurance are issued by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (QBE) ABN 78 003 191 035 (AFSL 239545).

ANZ Mortgage Protection is jointly issued by OnePath Life Limited (ABN 33 009 657 176) (OnePath Life) and QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035).

All applications for credit are subject to ANZ’s credit assessment criteria. Terms and conditions are available on application. Fees and charges apply. 

This information is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether the information is appropriate for you having regard to your objectives, financial situation or needs.

ANZ recommends that you read the ANZ Financial Services GuideANZ Home Building Key Facts SheetANZ Home Contents Key Facts SheetANZ Landlord Insurance and ANZ Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (also available by calling 13 16 14), before deciding whether to acquire, or to continue to hold, these products.

If ANZ makes a claim under LMI, the insurer may seek recovery from the borrower, or any guarantor, for any shortfall amount.

Back to top

If your home is totally destroyed in an insurable event and we accept your claim.

Back to top

An item may be repaired or replaced, or the cost of repair or replacement may be paid to you.

Back to top